Derek and I were invited to an adoption conference by some dear friends{Thanks Tim and Sue!}. We were not sure it would work out because it was in Chicago and we needed to find childcare for the girls. As God would have it, we were offered free childcare for the weekend. A huge thank you to Lance and Jenae for serving our family as they did. UN.BELIEVABLE!
Off we went to Chicago for the Together for Adoption conference.
Being in the big city, we took full advantage of the selection of Ethiopian restaurants. It was very important for me to eat some Ethiopian cuisine before we travel to Ethiopia. I had no idea what to expect. Out of the 7 of us, Derek was the only one who had tried the food prior. Let's just say we all entered sceptics and came out fans! It was the coolest experience. I will never forget it. The food was delicious. Very traditional. Dining in Ethiopia is characterized by the ritual breaking of injera and eating from the same plate, signifying the bonds of loyalty and friendship. These bonds are often demonstrated in the form of gursha- that is the placing of food in the mouth of another diner from one's own hand.
We all enjoyed this ritual around our table and had a few laughs!

Dear Little Guy,
I pray that I will not become lazy in sharing in the traditions from your birth country. I want you to remember and grow to appreciate where your roots come from. Having this meal was just one small way to feel a little closer to you even though we are miles and miles apart.
Love,
Momma
We had an amazing time. It has been a few weeks since we were there and I still look back and I am excited how God refreshed our hearts. We enjoyed every aspect of our time. Fun with good friends, delicious food, an inspiring conference to help give us a boost in our adoption process, worship, just to name a few. As we were preparing to leave the conference site, I was feeling overwhelmed by God's presence and thankful for the encouragement. Then my heart overflowed! Some of the Moody Bible college students we were with had the idea to ask the conference hosts if they could have the left over food from the lunch. They freely offered it. We were asked of we wanted to distribute the food to whoever we ran into on the street and on to Cabrini-Green. Let me just say we could not have ended our trip on a more powerful note. We walked the streets and handed out all the leftovers. As we walked away it was the strangest most wonderful feeling. Everyone was kind of quiet but sporting a humbled smile on their face. Caring for the widow and orphans in their distress. Meeting the needs of the less fortunate. Sharing Christ's love with others.
My heart overflows.




Addis Ababa Time
No comments:
Post a Comment