Wednesday, February 1, 2012

With new eyes

I was reminded of something, again, tonight. This life is so temporary and fragile. God has kept this thought at the forefront of my mind for a while now. Actually, it was at the time of the loss of our second baby nearly 2 years ago. Over and over, God has been whispering to me "this is not your home, your citizenship is in heaven" {read more Philippians 3:17-21). I try not to get comfortable here but that is virtually impossible. "Here" tends to be a comfortable place a lot of the time.
Anyway, I have been long expecting our wait list numbers and we got them this evening {I will share them at the end}. As I was looking at the number, I hoped would be lower, I was talking with God about how I felt. I was trying to process it all and trying to do that with the Lord. As I was sitting in the front room, I kept hearing firetrucks and sirens that seemed to be getting louder and louder. I went to the front door a few times and sat back down after each. Finally, it was so loud, I had to investigate a bit more. I went to the back of the house and look out our back door and saw a billow of smoke and a ball of flames. New eyes. Tonight I watched a family's house burn. Everything they had up in flames.

Sobering.

I suddenly got thankful.

Thankful for
My kids sleeping safely in their warm beds.
My wonderful husband that travels and works so hard for us.
My house.
Safety.
Yes, even all the waiting!

Tonight, I want to look at life with new eyes. I want to be thankful for movement, even if it is one step.

We are number



I have to include something that happened earlier in the evening {before the fire} while I was putting my girls to bed. My youngest, Layla, is the queen of random thoughts.
She says to me out of the blue and I quote, "If our house burns down tonight we wouldn't be able to read our Bible."
I'm really not sure what that was all about but I am going to bed with new eyes and a thankful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment