Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Boy, it's loud around here!

Believe it or not, Derek and I are without our girls for 2 whole weeks!{applause}

Who knew silence could be SO LOUD!

Derek and I are extremely blessed to have parents that truly invest in our kiddos. My Mom and Dad are both school teachers so they are off from work in the summer. They usually pay us a visit in early summer and then, a lot of times, come back up for a second visit. We are blessed.
This year, the girls and I road back to their house {about 13 hours}where I stayed for a week. On Friday, I flew, one way, back home....by myself. My parents generously offered to keep the girls and drive them back when they come again. The biggest struggle in this decision was Derek not seeing the girls for an entire month. Due to some travel and when my folks are arriving here, it will be one month of them being apart.

He is MISSING his little girls!!!!!!

We{Derek and I} are thoroughly enjoying our time together! We promised each other that we would make the most of this precious gift we have been given...time together! But the decision wasn't easy. We prayed and prayed about whether we should go forward with the plan. We wrestled with it. It's a long time to be apart.
And, if I'm being honest, I was concerned about what kind of parents we looked like. That's crazy, right?! Why did I care so much about what it looked like to other people?
Well, as I was struggling with these thoughts, I also knew how desperately Derek and I needed to be together, just the two of us. Since Derek accepted his new job in November, it has been difficult. More travel, stress and responsibility, not to mention that he was learning an entirely new job!!! Also, the intense 4 months of adoption paperwork that ended at the same time he started his new position. We knew we could use this time.
As we prayed, I had a phone conversation with a very wise friend and mother. As I told her what we were thinking, she said {without knowing all of my reservations} that it is a win, win, win situation.

Win #1- The girls get quality time with their grandparents.
Win #2- The grandparents get quality time with their granddaughters.
Win #3- You get quiet time together to work on your marriage.

I hadn't even realized that I needed that reminder. But it was wonderful to hear. Another wise friend of mine said that we are better parents for doing this.

After I gave myself permission to go for it, I decided that I wasn't going to look back!!!!


We are having a great time. We went to Briq's ice cream last night at 9:30 PM. Just because we could! :)

I am enjoying the quiet. Uninterrupted conversations. Quality time with my hubby {of 13 years as of the 4th of July!}. Extra, extra time in God's Word. Time with friends. And a little extra sleep!

I am forever thankful for my parents! What a legacy they are passing along to us and our children. We are blessed!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary! How wonderful that the two of you are able to enjoy a couple of weeks to focus on one another and your marriage. Sounds like you had a fun getaway to celebrate. We LOVE Cedarburg....I grew up 15 min. away from there. I highly recommend the Strawberry Festival that they hold each summer.

    ReplyDelete