Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Processing

There has been a lot of processing around here lately.  Honestly, it's been difficult to write about what's going on in regards to our adoption.  There hasn't been much to report and besides I have a hard time collecting my thoughts together about what to write.  There is not a day that goes by that I don't think, talk or pray about our little guy.  Some days are just a challenge.  Some days are spent resting in God's sovereign plan for our lives.  Throughout the journey, God has continued to mold and change our thought process. 
If you would sit with me these days and ask how I am doing you may hear me say one or all of these things:
*What if this (the waiting) is the easy part of the journey. Maybe after we get him things are going to be really hard. Who knows?
*Adoption isn't God's design for families.  We are called to care for the widow and orphan but it's tragic that there are children who are abandoned, unwanted and need a home. 
*We are still excited, of course, but I'm realizing more and more each day that this isn't about us (Derek and I).  Our son's whole life is going to change.  He is going to experience great loss and change in the first part of his life that some don't experience ever.  Wow, that's what I didn't see enough in the beginning. 
*This isn't about what we can do for this little boy or what he is going to bring to our family but it's ALL about the Lord and obedience and His purpose, plan and Gospel.

The last two days have been just super neat days.  Sunday, out of the blue, the girls wanted to have a tea party in honor of their "brother from Africa".  So sweet.  Adah had the idea to make cookies so she looked up a recipe and got to work baking.  Layla had a sweet treat idea of her own and went to work on strawberries and marshmallows on a pretzel stick. They both set the table and Layla added some special place set decor (cutouts of Africa with a heart where Ethiopia is!).
I helped them pull together their ideas and then they called daddy into the room.  I am so proud of them for keeping the excitement and faith that their little brother WILL come someday!  Faith like a child!!!

Yesterday, we enjoyed some last minute company for dinner.  Taiwo, the man that works with Derek came for dinner.  He is the man from Nigeria that sent us the traditional African dresses that his wife had made for Derek and I (See a previous post).  Anyway, he was so encouraging.  He told us that he had shared with his church back in Africa that there was a family in America that are reaching out to adopt from Africa.  He went on to say to them, "they have children already, they do not need to adopt and yet they are and they could adopt from there own country but they are coming to Africa."  He was telling them that to encourage their hearts to serve the Lord and reach out.  Derek and I were completely humbled and blown away by his statement.  He was using our story to encourage the hearts of believers in Africa!  It was so special and very timely.
Over and over I have said that God has sent timely encouragement to our family.  A self addressed stamp in the shape of Africa from our friends Val and Brian, a mixed music CD of encouraging music from Megan, countless cards and this simple visit from an African brother in Christ! 
We were smiling when he left!  So special.
As we were wrapping up our evening before heading to bed, I checked my e-mail and saw a message from the family that is one ahead of us on the adoption list.  My heart started pounding!!!!! Reading.....NO WAY.....Yes......

We are now family #1 on the wait list!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Movement!  Finally!  We haven't moved since April!!!!!!  We are praising God for the activity we have seen in the last week.  He is moving and we are excited.  It was uplifting today to have a phone conversation with the family that just received their referral.  We will continue to wait on the Lord and His timing for the news of our Little Guy!  Today we are rejoicing and eating one more jelly bean!!!!!  Just one left!!!!!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment