After we lost the baby, my friend Kristy asked me what we needed. At the time there was nothing I could think of that we “needed”. Being the thoughtful, organized, loving person she is, she coordinated friends to bring us meals for a week or so. What a blessing that has been! I am so grateful for the people that we surround ourselves with. God has given us community and we are so blessed! Thank you to Megan, Karen, Kristy, Beth, Kristina, Jenni and Jamie who served our family with love and generosity. To not have think of what to prepare and to not have to shop and cook was such a gift. Who knew that is what I would need? We also received many beautiful cards and flowers during this time. Again, God has comforted us with His tender hand and also worked through the people we love. Thank you, dear friends.
Another gift I was given the other day was a conversation I had with a friend. I was not having the best day to say the least. I was exhausted and grouchy. That’s super fun for everyone around me, right? No. Anyway, my friend was checking in on me and I was grateful. We talked for a very long time that night. She pointed out at the end of our conversation how at the start of the call I was kind of down and sounded tired and after I started to really talk about the Lord my voiced changed and I sounded energized. I realized that even my body was up off the couch; I was active in my voice and jesters. I was so thankful that she had pointed that out. At that moment, it was clear that I had, unknowingly, focused my day on my circumstances, my needs and myself. I took my eyes off my Jesus, my Creator. Shame on me. Isn’t that what happens though. We take our eyes off the Father and we can only look around and judge how we are doing by what we see. No wonder I was down. Thank you, Sue, for pointing me back to my Savior in that moment. It was exactly what I needed. The best part of friendships like that is ending a phone conversation with prayer. We didn’t have to say any more to each other. We needed to just thank God!
Since that talk, I have been singing a hymn that we sing quite often in church.
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus.
O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free!
Refrain:
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.
Through death into life everlasting
He passed, and we follow Him there;
O’er us sin no more hath dominion—
For more than conquerors we are!
His Word shall not fail you—He promised;
Believe Him, and all will be well:
Then go to a world that is dying,
His perfect salvation to tell!
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Addis Ababa Time
No comments:
Post a Comment