Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Just like a fairy tale.


I love being a Mom, most days. If I want to be fully honest I have to add the "most days". As a Mom, there are moments that you want to forget and there are moments you NEVER want to forget. Those special moments. I had one of those special moments the other day I never want to forget!
Derek was out of town and I was putting the girls to bed that night. We try to do bedtime as consistent as we can so the girls know what to expect. However, there are things that Derek does that I don't and vise versa. Well, Derek is a great storyteller and the girls love it when he tells them a story. They want to know all about his childhood and he can think of the greatest stories. The fun of it for Adah and Layla is they give him an age and he tells a story from when he was that age. Neat, right?! Not this Momma's strength. I seem to draw a blank every time they ask me, so it has become routine that when they ask for a story I say, "you know that is what Daddy does with you". It has worked, well, up until the other night.
They both said tell us a story Mom. I resisted. They continued to ask. Finally I said give me an age. Adah asked how old I was. I told her. She said how about when you were 33. She asked how old she was then and when I told her she changed her mind. So she decided on age 21. I proceeded to tell them that was around the time I met Daddy and we got engaged.
I truly never, ever want to forget the looks on their adorable little faces. Their eyes got as big as saucers. They both sat up in bed. Layla turned around and rested her elbows on the bed and sat her chin on her hands. They were ALL ears. As I told them the story of how we met they grew more and more interested. I moved into the story of how he proposed and I suddenly felt like royalty! They love anything that has to do with weddings or princesses.
I had never told them how he proposed to me. I don't know why. I just didn't. Maybe, just maybe, this was the perfect timing.
What a special time I spent with my little girls. They already say Daddy is their hero and now we are a king and queen in their eyes.

It got me thinking about how my kids view us. We are so big in their eyes right now. We don't have it all together, nor should we, but they are looking for parents {and other people in their lives} to guide them and love them unconditionally.

I was listening to a Beth Moore sound clip the other day and I love what she said...

"People are not looking for you to have it together, people are looking at what happens when you don't."

1 comment:

  1. That is sooooo cool you guys met at 21! I love to reflect on when I met Kenny. :) On Sunday the 22 it will be exactly 10 yrs we met face to face. We were 37 & 41...but we really felt like teenagers! ;) Have a blessed weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete